Saturday, December 20, 2008

2009 Buell XB12R Firebolt





I went down to M+W Brisbane this morning to take a look at the 2009 Buells and Harleys. In particular I wanted to see the Buell XB12R Firebolt in the 2009 spec and colours.

Well I was really impressed. IMO it is clearly the best looking bike Buell have produced to date and a stunning combination in either the Translucent Blue and White on a blacked out frame and engine or the Translucent Cherry Red on Black.



I had been very disappointed that HD had not brought in (to Australia) the new 2008 spec engines (that arrived USA mid 2007) in a short frame Buell Lightning. However since then I came to understand the reasoning better and even considered a XB12STT at one stage as it seemed to offer a good compromise between flick ability in tight stuff and planted feel in sweepers.

However by then one aspect of my current Brutale I particularly enjoyed was the superior aerodynamics afforded by the instrumentation pod design. Similar to what is fitted to many other bikes (Triumph/Ducati/Kawasaki to mention 3) a correctly designed and wind tested pod deflects (or disrupts) the wind around the riders helmet enough to make it comfortable to tour at or above 100kph all day, where as the flat plate wind deflector of the Buell Lightning doesn't work very well in this aspect.

I don't know why I didn't consider a Firebolt before - guess I don't look too close at bikes with clip on bars these days as I don't do track days and away from the track clip ons and race crouch is just a image and not at all practical for the road riding. However it is not difficult or uncommon to bolt normal bars on the Firebolt along with the lower foot pegs from the Lightning both of which are easily obtained and installed. I will give this some thought as an option for the future. I originally wanted the new spec engine in the short frame with decent wind protection in a black white and blue combo - that exact bike is sitting in dealers here now...


I took a look at the new V Rod for 2009 as well while at the dealer. Its called the Muscle and again I am going to say IMO it is the best yet from the series. Here is a photo of one in red but seriously the Black looks much better again but no decent shots of it (or the new Buell) outside in real life so far.

One thing that looks very dated on these new models is their instrumentation...



In any colour this is still a really good looking machine from HD however one aspect I don't understand is why the pillion seat is so tiny. It makes no sense at all to me as I look at these bikes for something you could buy to do more rides with your partner than sportier/smaller bikes. And it is not as if they made the new Muscle Vrod smaller and lighter so why not have a decent pillion seat?

I could easy see myself on either of these bikes with a tweak to either the bars or seating options.

0 comments: